23 Mar 2008

The Reluctant Migrant

Got into a flight for Kochi and immediately a conversation as I sat on my seat.

"Are you going to Kochi?"

I nodded. The guy was clutching grey bad and was wearing a cap. (Inside the plane !)

"Do you stay there ? Are you working there?"

I shook my head.

"I am going to meet my parents."

A sigh of relief.

" I am going to Kerala for the first time. Have got a job. Government job."

He looked around. His voice dropped.

"What kind of a place is it? Will I get a cheap place to stay? Can they understand Hindi?"

"Where are you from ?"

"Bihar..."

I smiled.

"Why do you worry ? Its OK..."

"I am going for the first time. Outside my place. I don't know what kind of place will it be."

I gave up. This guy had a sarkari job and was shitting bricks about moving to a new place. What about those who migrate to the metros without any guarantee, no place to stay...

And these are the people that politicians warn are ruining the cities.

No comments: