28 Jul 2013

On hearing the Batla House Judgement


I shook my head and smiled when the court said there was no foolproof evidence. Yet they were convicting the man.
Just like I had shook my head and smiled when the officer emphasized that the dead men were indeed terrorists. Never mind that two hours ago these men had been dragged out of their homes, shot and guns put in their hands. 
Another time I had shook my head and smiled when they reported that the Pandits had left their houses of their own accord. They had not been threatened by anyone.
Earlier I had shook my head and smiled when the Chief Minister explained that the farmers had committed suicide because they did not plant the right crops. The river getting diverted to the city had nothing to do with it.
Still earlier, I had shook my head and smiled when they said the riot was a spontaneous reaction to earlier event which was a reaction to an earlier event which was a reaction to an event we all have forgotten.
And then there was a time when I shook my head and smiled when women protested naked. I was told that these things happen when we try to preserve the unity and integrity of our country.
How can I forget that time when I shook my head and smiled when they told us that this mountain had to be carved for the many million tonnes of coal we needed to become an economic superpower. Who cares what happens to the people and villages around it.
Again I shook my head and smiled when they said someone could live on 32 rupees a day. Then they said it was 160 rupees and then it was 5000 rupees. They also found places where you could eat a meal for 12 rupees. And because of that poverty had gone down in the last decade.
But I laughed when one of the men was declared a juvenile never mind he was the most violent. Another two were not in the bus but at a music concert. A fourth was only driving the bus. He did not know what happened.
Soon they all might prove that the bus did not exist and the incident was a figment of our imagination.
That would be a good finale to the show.

No comments: